Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Three Easy Pieces

Sometimes, a girl needs to have something ready and available at last moments notice. That is where our friend Frozen Puff Pastry comes in.

[In all disclosure, I've never made puff pastry from scratch, but I've seen it done, and tasted the delicious results. I've also sampled frozen puff pastry. It's more than adequate, so it's no wonder I've become BFFs with Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry.]

While quite useful in breakfasty applications, puffy pastry swings easily to the savoury side of things, appetizers in particular. That old 70's favourite, "PINWHEELS" shines especially bright in it's glistening, butter-fat light.

I was recently requested to bring some appies to a dinner party. Two boxes of puff pastry that had been languishing in my freezer were quickly put to use.

First up, an Italian-esque spin with roasted tomatoes, pesto and fresh mozzarella:
Next, a roasted vegetable tapenade with shredded piave cheese:

Finally, I wanted something both savoury and a touch sweet. That's how I ended up with red onion, fig, walnut & mascarpone pinwheels:

I thought that perhaps a few people would like these, but they turned out to be the surprise hit of the night. "You can taste every ingredient!"

The holidays are just 'round the corner, folks. I'm just sayin'.

Pinwheels! Puff Pastry Appetizers

1 package puff pastry, thawed.
  • try:
  • pesto + oven-roasted tomatoes + fresh mozzarella (excess moisture squeezed out)
  • or:
  • prepared roasted vegetable tapenade + shredded piave cheese
  • or even:
  • prepared red onion & fig w/ porto wine tapenade + mascarpone cheese + diced toasted walnuts
egg beaten with 1 teaspoon water

Unfold puff pastry, and roll out to approximately 14x11-inch rectangle.
Spread evenly with pesto or tapenade, then layer remaining ingredients on top.
Roll tightly jelly-roll style, and place in the freezer for 15-20 minutes to firm up.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Remove pastry from freezer. Slice thinly, place on baking tray, and brush with beaten egg. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until slices have puffed and nicely browned.
Cool briefly. Serve warm, or at room temperature.

note: I get my prepared tapenades from Harris Teeter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Deborah Dowd said...

What a great inspiration! I am already thinking of some combinations! You're a genius! And really...who has time to make homemade puff pastry.

12:07 PM  
Blogger Hillary said...

Well damn, that's impressive! Last minute you say? One look at that and I would have assumed that took days of slaving in the kitchen!

11:21 AM  
Blogger iamchanelle said...

oh my gah, woman. for just coming up with that on a whim, especially. seriously.


YUM.

3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home