Sunday, October 21, 2007

Lone Food, not Lonely

As a busy, rock-star library clerk, I don't often eat alone. The exceptions being when my husband heads out to race motorcycles, or has an in-house poker night.

Then, I spread my wings. Often it takes the form of seafood, usually shrimp, mussels or scallops (anathema to my husband). Sometimes, I go for basic vegetarian fare, a stir fry of some sort.

One night, as Dave was counting out poker chips (and clearing the large dining room table from excess cat hair), I remembered plunking something into the freezer that could be quite useful.

Paging Dr. Praeger!

No, I'd never heard of him either. He's apparently some healthy-crunchy kind of dude, who just happened to have a selection of freezer-stable good-for-ya goods. Notably, "spinach cakes".Sounds appetizing, yes? But I'm telling you- bake one of those babies, ladle a softly poached egg atop, and sprinkle with a chopped, garden-fresh tomato and, well, dinner on poker night ain't so bad.

Hmm, that's a little dull, isn't it? Lets brighten things up a bit.
Tasty, satisfying, and all done in under 20 minutes. Brilliant, babes!

Poached Egg with Salsa, Tomatoes & Spinach Cakes


2 spinach cakes (or any sort of savoury cake, prepared and heated)
1 egg, softly poached
medium green salsa
chopped ripe tomatoes
Parmesan cheese, shredded


Prepare cakes according to package directions.
Meanwhile, poach an egg. While a lot of folk don't seem to care for it, I use the whirlpool method; for single eggs, it seems to work out just fine.
Lay one cake on a plate and cover with salsa, chopped tomatoes and Parmesan.
Cover with another cake, repeat and top with poached egg.
Poke egg, inhale the heady goodness, and dig in.


2 Comments:

Blogger where i live said...

i love dr. praeger. he makes these yummy veggie burgers that are mostly grains. so crumbly good!

7:39 AM  
Blogger sher said...

Wonderful! It looks perfect to me--and you can't go wrong when you plop a poached (or fried) egg on top of most things! :)

2:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home