Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Crannies Unite! It's time to relax, ya'all.

I've made cinnamon rolls from scratch, and let me tell you: it is truly an act of love.

Dough is mixed, dough rises, dough is rolled just so, then coated with a buttery, sugary, cinnamon-heavy concoction that oozes when you try to (crookedly) roll it all up into a log.

Then you slice, place in pan, coat with more sticky, sugary glaze, and finally — FINALLY! — if your family hasn't already gnawed off their own arms in hunger, after only 30 minutes more, they are ready to eat.
(Like all good sticky buns, the tops become the crustily delicious bottoms.)

Undoubtedly, it will be worth the wait, as everyone erupts into gasps and murmurs of delight and awe between warm, delicious mouthfuls. And if you, covered in congealing spatters of sugar and dough, have managed to shake yourself out of baking shock, then you too shall taste and know the special joy that is homemade cinnamon rolls.

I'm not Martha Stewart. Baking anything more complicated than drop cookies or pound cakes tends to send me into a quaking mass of self-doubt and paranoia. Also, like most folks, I don't have half a day to spend in the kitchen, especially first thing in the morning.

Does this mean that I should be consigned to a life without sticky goodness? In a word, no!

In three words: Bridgford Parkerhouse Rolls. Yes, it's a frozen convenience product, and I'm so happy it exists! My sister-in-law turned me on to them when I was begrudgingly thinking of making cinnamon rolls for the holidays, dreading the inevitable five-hour baking marathon.

As a mom with two high-energy children, she had a whole slew of tricks up her sleeve, one of which was her sticky buns recipe.

Frozen Bridgford rolls, available in almost any grocery, are a quality product that easily adapt to any number of uses. Her recipe called for pudding mix, which isn't something I normally keep in the pantry, so I simply substituted in the filling from my original recipe.

It was so refreshingly easy. I'd already toasted and chopped my pistachios (which you can find shelled at Trader Joe's), so it was a simple matter of assembly. While the butter melted in the microwave, I coated a pan with a touch of butter, nuts and cranberries, then topped that with the still-frozen rolls.

The melted butter was mixed with cinnamon, sugar and orange zest, and then poured generously over the rolls. The few remaining nuts and cranberries went on top, then covered with a damp towel.

Popped into a cold oven, it slowly thaws overnight.

In the morning, whip off the towel; turn on the oven, and in a blushingly easy 30 minutes time — sweet, cinnamon-tinged sticky buns are at your disposal.

Easy Overnight Cranberry Sticky Buns

  • 1/2 tablespoon butter
  • 1 25-ounce package frozen Bridgford Parkerhouse Rolls
  • 1/2 cup dried cranberries (divided)
  • 1/2 cup toasted, chopped shelled pistachios (divided)
  • 1 stick (8 tablespoons) butter, melted
  • 3/3 cup dark brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon salt (if using salted butter, omit)
  • 2 teaspoons minced orange zest

Coat bottom of 9-by-13 pan with butter, then sprinkle with cranberries and pistachios. Save about 1/4 cup of each.

Place package of frozen Bridgford Parkerhouse Rolls on top of nuts and cranberries.
elt 1 stick of butter and combine with 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 teaspoons cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt and 2 teaspoons minced orange zest.

Pour over rolls. Strew remaining cranberries and pistachios on top, then cover pan with a damp towel. Place in a cold oven overnight.

Remove towel and turn oven on to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes, until tops are browned and juices are bubbling.
Invert (carefully!) onto serving tray, scooping out any remaining glaze and drizzling over top.
Serve immediately.

4 Comments:

Blogger iamchanelle said...

hey! i love cranberries! what a great idea. and pistachios! some serious yum going on there.

i always make my cinnamon roll dough in the bread machine - not so time consuming. sortof.

9:25 AM  
Blogger Kevin said...

S'kat,
I make cinnamon rolls the night before and refrigerate until the next morning when I bake them. Saves a lot of arm gnawing.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Deborah Dowd said...

These will be on my Christmas morning menu! I have used Bridgeford dough for rolls, but never made the jump to quick and delicious cinnamon rolls- Thanks!

4:42 AM  
Blogger sher said...

Oh, I can't believe it! Google might let me leave a comment this time! These rolls look scrumptious, S'kat. I hope you and your loved ones have a marvelous holiday. See you in 2008!

6:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home